Site Autárquico - Câmara Municipal de Faro

City Centre

Faro, Historic Heritage

  • Casa das Figuras

    Building of Public Interest -   Located in João de Brito Vargues Street, right at one of Faro’s main entrances, the building was commissioned by the Associate Judge Veríssimo de Mendonça Manuel in the beginning of the 18th century to be used as a farming warehouse adjacent to Horta dos Ourives. A typical ...

    Saber mais

  • Cerca Seiscentista (17th century enclosure)

    The construction began in 1660 to prevent a possible Spanish retaliation after the 1640’s Restoration War. It was the second line of walls constructed to defend the city from the sea, on both sides. Only three parts of it remain. The most important one (listed as Building of Public Interest) is located in Horta do Ferragial; the ...

    Saber mais

  • Chapel of Stº. António do Alto

    In the process of classification – Monument of Public Interest -   Located in Berlim Street.  Built near a medieval watchtower, its construction probably dates back to the second half of the 15th century.In the 16th century some adjustments were performed and the lower part of the watchtower began to be used as the main ...

    Saber mais

  • Chapel of Our Lady of Hope

    Noteworthy Building -   Located near the cemetery, between Aboim Ascenção and Alportel streets. It was built in the late 15th and 16th centuries to receive his founder’s body, João Amado – a knight of Bishop D. João Camelo Madureira. In the 17th century it was integrated in the defensive wall ...

    Saber mais

  • Chapel of São Luis

    Noteworthy Building -    Located on a square bearing the same name, in the former Jewish Cemetery vicinity, its roman origin are most likely from the first half of the 17th century. In the 18th century third quarter the cupola and main chapel were rebuilt in rococo style. In 1806, the Bishop D. Francisco Gomes do Avelar has ...

    Saber mais

  • Chapel of São Sebastião

    Monument of Public Interest -   Located in São Sebastião square. This small temple dates back to the late 15th century. Since its patron saint was Saint Sebastian, the protector of plagues, it was built in the city’s vicinity and left out of the 17th century enclosure. In 1596 and due to the Earl of Essex ...

    Saber mais

  • College of St. James The Greater/ Lethes Teatre

    Building of Public Interest -   This building was constructed in 1603 to house the College of the Society of Jesus.   In 1759, after the Jesuits expulsion, it was incorporated in the Portuguese royal treasury. In 1853, after the implementation of Liberalism, the building was bought by Dr. Lázaro Doglioni in a public ...

    Saber mais

  • Convent of São Francisco/ School of Hospitality

    Noteworthy Building -   Located in São Francisco Square, the former convent was built around 1529 on a plot of land donated by D. Vilhena Branca. Initially the convent belonged to the Friars of Piedade Province and the worship was in honour of Santo António, but in 1541 the Friars, from the Algarve Province, previously ...

    Saber mais

Multimédia

Contactos:

  • Telefone: 289 870 870
  • Morada: Câmara Municipal de
    Faro -Largo da Sé
    8004 - 001 Faro