Building of Public Interest -
In 1782, Francisco José Moreira de Brito de Carvalhal e Vasconcelos inherited an estate located in Estoi after the death of his father, Francisco José Seabra e Neto.
We assume that none of the existing buildings were used since a new construction began from 1782-1783. Still unknown is the project’s author; however, it is possible that the authorship was by the royal architect Mateus Vicente de Oliveira (1706-1785) responsible for Queluz Palace decades earlier.
Estoi Palace is considered one of the best examples of civil architecture built in the second half of the 18th century. The estate became abandoned when the last descendant died.
In 1893, José Francisco da Silva spent a great sum in the building’s restoration and the adding of new elements.
The building was inaugurated in 1909 being bought in 1987 by the Municipality of Faro.
(Photo courtesy of Luís Barriga)
Nowadays, the Palace is a Pousada, whose renewal works were made by architect Gonçalo Byrne and landscaping architect João Cerejeiro, being the only Pousada integrated in the segment - Historic Design Hotel - in the Algarve.
Building of Public Interest
First-born son of Colonel Francisco José Moreira de Brito Pereira Carvalhal e Vasconcelos; José Francisco da Silva
|Domingos António da Silva Meira, architect and interior designer (19th century - renovation); Gonçalo Byrne, architect (conversion into a pousada)
|Date of construction/reconstruction/other work
17th, 18th, 20th and 21st century
Civil Architecture - Palace
Characterized by marked eclecticism, it is considered by many scholars to be the clearest example of romanticism in the Algarve. The buildings are spread over three levels, preceded by double staircases, balustrades and gateways. The Palace occupies the highest level and is in a mixture of artistic styles, mainly neoclassical, neo-rococo and Art Nouveau, and is surrounded by large gardens, adorned by lakes and fountains and decorated with busts, tiled panels and statues. There is a nativity scene from the 18th century Portuguese school and a sculpture by António Canova named “The Three Graces”
Adress:Rua São José,Estoi8005-456 Faro37º5'47.06''N 7º53'44.76''WPhone:. (+351) 289 990 150 - from a national fixed networkE-mail: email@example.comWebsite: www.pousadas.pt