Site Autárquico - Câmara Municipal de Faro

Ir para conteúdo

Church of Our Lady of Carmel

Monument of Public Interest -


Built by the Ordem Terceira de Nossa Senhora do Monte do Carmo between 1713 and 1719 this church is a fine example of baroque architecture on a symmetrical facade.


This single nave church, features a chancel and four side chapels decorated with tiles and gilded wood carvings.



In the adjoining former cemetery, the Chapel of Bones built in 1816.





Monument of Public Interest

Commissioned by

Third Carmelite Order


Friar Manuel da Conceição, Carmelite architect; Manuel Martins and apprentices (woodcarving); Diogo Tavares, master stonemason
Date of construction/reconstruction/other work

18th, 19th and 20th century


Baroque religious architecture, longitudinal plan, single nave flanked by side chapels

Special features

Transept extending across the same width as the main façade; gilded altarpieces in the chapels, on the triumphal arch and on the cornice of the nave; sacristy with exotic wood furniture and polychrome coffered ceiling. Chapel of bones


Adress:Lrg. do Carmo8000-148 Faro37º1'12.1''N 7º56'4.89''WPhone: (+351) 289 824 490 - from a national fixed networkE-mail: ordemdocarmo-faro@sapo.ptWebsite:

Free Admission in the Church