Site Autárquico - Câmara Municipal de Faro

Ir para conteúdo

College of St. James The Greater/ Lethes Teatre

Building of Public Interest -


This building was constructed in 1603 to house the College of the Society of Jesus.


In 1759, after the Jesuits expulsion, it was incorporated in the Portuguese royal treasury.

In 1853, after the implementation of Liberalism, the building was bought by Dr. Lázaro Doglioni in a public auction.

His nephew, Dr. Justino Cúmano, was in charge of transforming it into Lethes Theatre, inaugurated in 1855. The painter, José Filipe Porfírio, was one of the artists that participated in the restoration works in early 20th century.

The building’s frontispiece allows us to understand the original construction; the central body was part of the church and the sides were part of the college.


There is a sign on the facade with the inscription “MONET OBLECTANDO” that means to instruct through entertainment.


Presently the theatre is under the management of ACTA – A Companhia de Teatro do Algarve (a theatre company).




Building of Public Interest

Commissioned by

Bishop of the Algarve/Company of Jesus; Dr. Lazarus Doglioni (Theatre)


José Filipe Porfírio (19th century)
Date of construction/reconstruction/other work

17th, 19th and 20th century


Religious/civil architecture, Mannerist, eclectic. Longitudinal plan, hall church, main façade with three sections

Special features

Changes to the original plan of the college prompted by its conversion to a theatre


Adress:Rua de Portugal, n.º 598000-281 Faro37º1'5.98''N 7º55'54.5''W Phone: (+351) 289 820 300 - from a national fixed networkE-mail: cmf.teatrolethes@gmail.comWebsite: