The construction began in 1660 to prevent a possible Spanish retaliation after the 1640’s Restoration War.
It was the second line of walls constructed to defend the city from the sea, on both sides. Only three parts of it remain.
The most important one (listed as Building of Public Interest) is located in Horta do Ferragial; the second one in Largo de Nossa Senhora da Esperança (in front of the cemetery door), and the third, in numbers 2 to 4 of Loulé street, reused as a house wall.
Until the late 19th century the city of Faro was practically confined to the enclosure’s area.
Rua Manuel Penteado
Phone: (+351) 289 870 870
Fax: (+351) 289 870 039