Site Autárquico - Câmara Municipal de Faro

Ir para conteúdo

House of Captain Manuel de Oliveira

Noteworthy Building -

 

Located in Vila-Adentro on the corner of Prof. Norberto da Silva (former Cabido Street) Trem and Arco Streets, the building belonged in the late 18th century to Captain Manuel de Oliveira. 

With the proclamation of the Republic and subsequent occupation of the Episcopal Seminar the priests and seminarians moved in 1912 to this house. It also housed Bishop D. António Barbosa, in January 1912, when returned from his exile. In 1915 the occupants were all transferred to a house in Município Street.

The two stonework round arches and two wells are the only remnants from the original building.

By the ladder, an interesting arcade, with 15th century Tuscan stone columns supporting two depressed arches.

Also noteworthy is the addition, in the 19th century, of a room built upon the arch that crosses the street at first floor level

  

Specifications 

Classification

Noteworthy Building

Commissioned by

Unknown

Design

Unknown
Date of construction/reconstruction/other work

15th, 16th, 18th and 20th century

Type

Civil, medieval, 16th century, 18th century architecture. Rectangular in plan with two storeys, with balconette windows on the second floor

Special features

Of the original construction, part of the structure remains, including two semi-circular arches and two wells, one inside and another in the courtyard, next to which is an arcade with a Tuscan column supporting two low arches

  

Adress:
Rua Professor Norberto da Silva, nº 8
8004-002 Faro
37º0'45.55''N 7º56'5.73''W
Phone: (+351) 289 860 900
Website: http://www.fagar.pt/