Site Autárquico - Câmara Municipal de Faro

Ir para conteúdo

Chapel of Our Lady of Hope

Noteworthy Building -

 

Located near the cemetery, between Aboim Ascenção and Alportel streets.

It was built in the late 15th and 16th centuries to receive his founder’s body, João Amado – a knight of Bishop D. João Camelo Madureira.

In the 17th century it was integrated in the defensive wall whose presence is still noticeable by some remains.

In the 18th century it witnessed a massive destruction caused by both the 1722 and 1755 earthquakes as well as some alterations performed by the Brotherhood of Nossa Senhora do Carmo that was settled here.

The building’s condition led to some repair works between 1997 – 1999.

  

Specifications

Classification

Noteworthy Building

Commissioned by

João Amado, knight and servant to the Bishop of the Algarve, D. João Camelo Madureira; Brotherhood of Nª Srª Esperança

Design

Unknown

Date of construction/reconstruction/other work

15th, 18th and 20th century

Type

Religious architecture, combining plain, baroque and rococo styles. Longitudinal plan, single nave and chancel covered by an octagonal dome

Special features

Abundant plasterwork detail on the exterior. The interior features baroque decoration on the triumphal arch and rococo in the dome

 

Adress:
Rua General Teófilo da Trindade
8000-357 Faro
37º1'15.31''N 7º55'57.64''W
Phone: (+351) 289 870 870
E-mail: geral@cm-faro.pt
Website: www.cm-faro.pt