Site Autárquico - Câmara Municipal de Faro

Ir para conteúdo

Chapel of São Sebastião

Monument of Public Interest -

 

Located in São Sebastião square.


This small temple dates back to the late 15th century.

Since its patron saint was Saint Sebastian, the protector of plagues, it was built in the city’s vicinity and left out of the 17th century enclosure.

In 1596 and due to the Earl of Essex English troop's invasions it was badly damaged.The Bishop Fernando Martins Mascarenhas was responsible for its repair project having funded the works.

On the second half of the 17th century the building was enlarged and in the 20th century, in the40’s it also sustained some restoration works.

Noteworthy is the Manueline side chapel, devoted to São Roque.

  

Specifications

Classification

Monument of Public Interest

Commissioned by

Unknown

Design

Unknown

Date of construction/reconstruction/other work

17th; 18th and 20th century

Type

Religious, Manueline, plain and baroque architecture. Longitudinal plan with single nave and baroque doorways

Special features

Retains a Manueline chapel that was, simultaneously with the chancel at the end of the 17th century, clad in patterned tiles. Inside there is baroque carving

 

Adress:
Largo de S. Sebastião
8000-155 Faro
37º1'13.86''N 7º56'15.54''W
Phone: (+351) 289 870 870
E-mail: geral@cm-faro.pt
Website: www.cm-faro.pt